Lead

Oct 4 09 12:10 PM

Tags : :

"Earlier that morning, when I was certain no one was looking, I did something I had done twenty-six years earlier:
I planted a fistful of crumpled money under a mattress."
Amir, pg. 254

This quote (above and below) shows how Amir had changed. Before, when he put the money under Hassan's mattress, it was a coward move. He did it so Baba would get rid of both Hassan and Ali.

"I lifted Hassan's mattress and planted my new watch and a handful of Afghani bills under it.
I waited another thirty minutes. Then i knocked on Baba's door and told what I hoped would be the last
in a long line of shameful lies."
Amir, pg. 110

Amir kept trying to cover up his past and get rid of it by setting Hassan up. He thought if Hassan left, then everything would go back to normal, but it didn't.

Now, Amir had a heart. Rahim Khan told Amir to come back to Afghanistan to rescue Hassan's son Sohrab. Amir stayed with Wahid's family. They didn't have much at all. They served Amir all their food they had. Amir felt guilty for all the riches he had. Living in America, without war, having sanitary living conditions and enough food for meals three times a day. So, when it was time for Amir to leave, he snuck a fistfull of money under the mattress. This time, it wasn't a coward who had done it, it had been a loving, but guilty man. Amir was slowly paying back his dues and hardships he had created in the past.
Quote    Reply   

#1 [url]

Oct 4 09 7:24 PM

I strongly agree with what "agent007" has said in this post. Khaled Hossini emphasizes or concentrates a lot on his character's change over time, Amir being one of the key characters he concentrates on.
At the beginning of the novel, Amir was a selfish boy who wanted nothing more than the approval & attention from his father. It was so bad that when his best friend was being raped, he thought that maybe Hassan was the price he had to pay to gain Baba's attention. Towards the end of the novel, Amir's character is far from self-centered or selfish; he is doing things to help others, which is a HUGE change for him. He is risking his life in America in order to save Sohrab from harm, and to redeem himself from the guilt he has lived with for so long.

Quote    Reply   
Add Reply

Quick Reply

bbcode help